Thursday, November 4, 2010

{Guest Blog & Spotlight} Kolby Kakes Edible Creations

November 4, 2010

Hello Savvy followers! I am honored and excited to be a guest blogger this week!

The Savvy Mom’s Guide has provided us all with amazing tips, ideas and deals for over two months now, and I am ecstatic to be affiliated with them as their ‘resident baker’ and an appreciative follower.

Having recently started up Kolby Kakes, my passion for baking is ever growing. As a young girl, my mom allowed me to help her whenever she was baking or cooking. As an adolescent, she gave me the freedom to experiment (and make messes) in the kitchen. Now as an adult, with a full time job and family of my own, baking remains my passion.

After receiving flattering amounts of requests from friends, family and strangers for my baked goods (particularly cake balls!), I started Kolby Kakes. I enjoy creating treats that will coordinate with the color scheme or theme of any event, much like those designed for The Savvy Mom’s Guide play dates. My signature items, cake balls which have rightfully been named Kolby Kakes, are enjoyed at any type of function thinkable.

I love being able to create unique yet edible touches that make a function a little more personal and special. Kolby Kakes also supports charities and non-profit organizations within the community. In recent months, we have supported The Girls Scouts of America, Women’s Fellowship Neighborhood Church, and are happy to support additional local causes.


In partnership with The Savvy Mom’s Guide and Sweet Things, Kolby Kakes is a proud sponsor of 1st Annual Cupcake Camp IE. A fundraiser supporting breast cancer which will be taking place this Sunday November 7th at The Mission Inn in Riverside, Ca. At this event, Kolby Kakes will introduce a new feature item, The Sweet Geraldine cupcake. This special creation is dedicated to my dear Aunt ‘Gerry’ who lost her battle with breast cancer over 8 years ago. To learn more about this event, check out the following link: www.cupcakecampie.wordpress.com
We are so excited to be apart of such a great cause and would love to see you there!


With the holidays right around the corner, here is a recipe and a tip for holiday baking: Easy

Sugar Cookie Recipe:
2/3 C butter, softened
¾ C Sugar
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1 TBSP milk
1 egg
2 C flour

With an electric mixer, beat butter on medium speed for 1 minute. Add sugar, salt and baking powder. Beat in vanilla, milk and egg scraping sides of bowl. Carefully add flour. If desired, chill dough for 20 minutes. Cut dough with cookie cutters and bake at 375o for 8 minutes or until edges are slightly golden.

Baking Tip:
When rolling sugar cookies, I don’t like to use flour because it makes a mess and also takes away from the flavor of the cookie. Instead, I place the dough on a piece of parchment paper. Cover the dough with a second piece of parchment paper and roll flat with a rolling pin. Place on a cookie sheet or other flat surface, and chill for 10-15 minutes before making desired shapes with cookie cutters.

Smiles~

Jamie

3 comments:

  1. Great post Jamie!! What a touching tribute to your aunt; I love it! Looking forward to sampling the cupcake.
    Kolby Kakes is amazing....love the cakeballs, but I think my all time favorite (so far) has to be the "gelato" cupcakes; I could have eaten those all day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Jamie!! You are truely an amazing person all the way around! Your baking is perfection!! Hope you girls do amazing this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll see you this weekend. Your baked goods are always the hit at my parties!

    ReplyDelete